Sunday 14 October 2007

First Post

I can't believe that I am only just starting my first blog today. I usually leave a trail of writing debris where ever I go but for some reason I wasn't quite sure about blogging. I feel like an old virgin.

I started this blog to write about my memories of that beautiful city Jo'burg, where I grew up. I have been away from it for about 5 years now and often find myself in a mental escape, reminscing about the loves and haunts, sights and sounds of the place.

Today I just remembered frequenting a club called Millenium (it was 1999 when I was last there). The club was actually in Midrand. Girls got in free before 10 pm and my best friend and I would go there on Friday nights to dance away the weeks work pressures. We were slightly older than the majority of teenagers that frequented the place back then and we certainly felt it. We were so shy, we would spend about 2 hours on the booze before we got gutsy enough to hit the dance floor but once we were on, we boogied with no conscience until about five in the morning. I had a habit of popping by at an ex's place after that and spending the morning there.

He lived in Troyeville and I'd pass the Ponte on the way to his place. Beautiful building. It was such an iconic landmark of those clubbing days, a direction pointer, and it consistently gave me the feeling that I was in a really buzzy city and that exciting times were lurking around the corner.

I notice that they are considering renovating it now for occupation again, and doing up the inner city. That would breathe some life back into the place.

I'll have to move back soon to experience that.

No comments: