Monday 25 February 2008

Crap day

Feeling hemmed in from all sides today.

An old friend of mine, and one whom I‘ve known for quite some time, called me today – the one who only ever seems to be in contact when he needs something from me. (This became obvious a few years ago when he started popping over to the UK on visits or business, and very conveniently staying at my place, without offering anything in lieu of appreciation, and indeed by being a very inconsiderate house guest in other ways.) Last year when I first started to panic about my apartment he responded by, ‘offering‘, to co-own my place (by verbal agreement, in which he would make use of the place from June onwards, this year, at a rental, like a lodger would pay for a room, but in this case he would expect some sort of capital benefit instead, and all of this would be conveniently ‘off ' paper.)

When I told him I was selling, he made some unsuccessful attempts at persuading me to keep the property, and then the phone calls ceased somewhat, albeit his falseness at trying to be so happy to hear from me when I called.

Today he left a message, so sweet and flowery, I thought he really wanted to say hello. Turns out he just wanted to know the name of the area I lived in, which no doubt he will use to bullshit, about co-owning my property, and quite frankly, I don’t care about that because legally he is of course not entitled to anything. What really bugs me though, is that he hasn’t really been much of a friend since I’ve had problems. If I think back 10 years, he has only sort-of been around when things were good and there was no responsibility.

My parents on the other end, are apparently happily asserting that they will be so much happier, if I was back home, as they would have someone ‘around’, meaning that they could rely/depend on me as a trusted family member. After some hesitation and bullshit attempts at feigning some form of assistance of the financial kind, none of which was ever forthcoming in any way, and certainly nothing I was asking for or needed from them, they expertly concluded that they are too old to be concerned with their kid’s problems. They are in their fifties. Hence my current assertion that I am too young to be concerned with their well being enough to warrant moving back home for their sake.

To make matters worse, on an obviously bad day, I had a mini argument with FW. We do not argue as ferociously as we used to because he is not allowed to drink in my apartment anymore, and hence behaves a bit more humanely towards me. This time it was about his constant excuses for not paying bills. They get more and more ridiculous by the day, and I end up having to foot the bill. I cannot wait for this place to be sold - so that I can move away from this black situation. And on the off chance that FW may be aware of this blog, I will say this: If it wasn’t for my foresight into exactly such a situation and making sure I had a plan B on the finances, just before I became unemployed, I would have been up shit creek right now, without a boat.

And to round off a perfectly screwed up day, I discover that my expectations on the visa front are all rubbish. I wonder if I will be able at all, to even get the visa I am holding out for now.

No comments: